Brainstorming an effective database design
You’ve got a brilliant idea for a webpage/site! You’ve identified a theme is and have a pretty good idea what your content will be. The next step is to make sure that you have an awesome database to pull it together.
Developing a database plan
Before anything else, identify your database’s key functions. Before determining its size and complexity, you’ll need to do some groundwork, as follows–
- Research database platforms to familiarize yourself with how they are built, how they work and are maintained.
- Pinpoint the objects the database will manage.
- Model the objects in a manner that directly reflects/synchs with your database’s key functions.
- Find the required information for each respective object. This includes raw data, a categorical, identifier, as well as relational and referential columns of data.
- Note the relation between each object.
Identify optimal databases
Online transaction databases are best because they are user friendly, created with the modern consumer in mind. Their advantages include–
- Excellent data placement.
- Online, seamless database updates.
- Index is updated every time a new row of data is added.
- Use of hardware with much quicker response times than what is used in traditional databases.
- High ‘normalization’ of the database, significantly reducing redundant information.
Why normalization is important
Normalization is an important database process that makes index creation and sorting lightning fast. The indexes of a normalized database are notably more compact with less data per table, making index management much easier.
Four keys to a well-designed database
- Each table should contain an identifier.
- There should be no null columns in a table.
- Limit data to one object per table.
- Avoid repeating values in any given table.
Creating a database can be time-consuming but planning ahead greatly enhances efficiency and optimal results. Researching and becoming aware of the various database platforms and their functions will make your job much easier.